Dropping a Low Graded Item from a Gradebook Category|
If you have graded items within a gradebook category, you can choose to have a specified number of the lowest items not count toward the category total. This option is referred to as Drop Lowest grades. You may instead choose to count only a specified number of high grades, ignoring the rest of the items in a category. This option is referred to as Keep Highest grades.
The Keep Highest option will only have an effect after students have more than the specified number of items. For example, if you are keeping the highest 4 grades, a low grade will only be dropped after students have at least 5 grades in the category.
The Drop Lowest option takes effect only after a student has at least 2 grades. If a student has only one grade, Moodle will not drop it.
NOTE - these actions are mutually exclusive and only one of these options is allowed at a time for a given category. You cannot simultaneously Keep Highest and Drop Lowest in the same category. Also, if your category is set to the Sum of Grades aggregation method, these options are not available.
To Set the Drop Lowest or Keep Highest options in the gradebook Simple View:
1. Click the edit symbol in the Actions column for the desired category.
2. You should see the Drop Highest and Keep Lowest options in the top section of the category edit page. If you do not see these options, click the Show More button on the right.
3. Type the desired number in either the Drop Lowest or Keep Highest text box.
4. Click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page.
To Set the Drop Lowest or Keep Highest options in the gradebook Full View:
The full view has a column for both the Drop Lowest and Keep Highest settings.
1. Type the desired number in the appropriate box. You cannot set both options at the same time. Click the Save Changes button at the bottom of the page to set the changes.
If you have entered a number in either the Keep Highest or Drop Lowest options, the option that you did not choose will become grey and the text box will lock. If you want to change to the other option later, enter a zero in the original option you chose, and then click the Save Changes button. Both options will then be available again.